Giatec SmartRock™ is a ruggedized waterproof wireless sensor/logger for monitoring the temperature of concrete from fresh stage to hardened stage.
The SmartRock™ can be placed in the concrete formwork (installed on the rebar) before pouring to monitor the temperature of concrete in situ. The continuous measurements are recorded on the SmartRock™ memory and can be downloaded any time during the concrete setting and hardening onsite using the mobile application on smartphone/tablet.
The continuous monitoring of concrete temperature can be used as a QC/QA method as well as maturity-based strength estimation of concrete. The field monitoring of concrete temperature can also help with optimizing the formwork removal time, application of load on the structure, and adjusting the curing temperature of concrete onsite.
SmartRock™ can be used to monitor the temperature of fresh and hardened concrete. This can provide information on:
- Hardening of concrete
- Optimization of curing conditions
- Heating and cooling processes
- Quality control in the field
- Concrete maturity
- Estimation of strength (ASTM C1074)
- Concrete mix design optimization
- Wireless Bluetooth technology
- Ruggedized and waterproof design
- Real-time data (e.g. temperature, strength, maturity, max-min temperature) display
- Continuous measurement and recording of temperature
- Easy activation through tying the wires together (this can be used onsite to hold the sensor around rebar)
- Extended temperature sensor for deep elements and mass concrete
- Maturity calibration curve database
- Long battery life (about 4 months in room temperature)
- Operation software (Android and iOS apps) for smartphone and tablet
- Easy data sharing
- Extended cable for temperature measurement, within 45 cm (18") from the concrete surface
- Measurement and calculation in both metric and imperial units
- Patents pending
The temperature measurement and the estimation of concrete strength based on the maturity method are described in the following ASTM standard specifications:
- ASTM C1064, "Standard Test Method for Temperature of Freshly Mixed Hydraulic-Cement Concrete"
- ASTM C1074, "Standard Practice for Estimating Concrete Strength by the Maturity Method"
|Reading Range||Resolution||Wireless Range||Measurement Interval|
|-30 to +80 °C
(-22 to +176 °F)
|±0.5 °C||6-8 meters in concrete*
|According to ASTM C1074:
First 48 hours: every 30 minutes.
After that: every 1 hour
*The recommended depth for embedding the transmitter part of the sensor in concrete is 5 cm (2 inches). Within this depth, the user can communicate easily with the sensor at a distance of about 8 meters. The temperature sensor extension cable [40 cm (16") long] can then be placed anywhere within the concrete element.
|Operating temperature||-30 to +80 °C (-22 to +176 °F)|
|Dimensions of SmartRock™ unit||38 x 38 x 12 mm (1.5 x 1.5 x 0.5 inches)|
|Length of SmartRock™ temperature cable||40 cm (16")|
Q1: How long is the battery life?
A: The battery life is about 4 months for data logging under room temperature.
Q2: What is the log interval for temperature?
A: The standard log follows this schedule:
a. First 48 hours: every 30 minutes
b. After that: every 1 hour
Q3: What is the maximum number of data that can be recorded on the SmartRock?
A: The device can store 800 data points in the following format:
Time | Date | Temp (C)
10:20 | 10/02/2015 | 23
Q4: Do MTO and DOTs allow this method of concrete strength measurement?
A: The strength estimation according to the concrete maturity method as described in the ASTM C1074 has been specified by many DOTs in the US as well as the CSA. Here is the clause from CSA:
188.8.131.52.5 In-place strength
184.108.40.206.5.1 Test procedures
Unless otherwise specified by the owner, the in-place strength shall be determined in accordance with CSA A23.2-14C, CSA A23.2-15C or ASTM C1074 for the purposes of determining:
(a) when forms shall be removed or when prestressing or post-tensioning shall be applied;
(b) when curing shall be terminated; and
(c) when re-shores shall be removed.